Top tips for saving costs

Divorce and ancillary relief proceedings can be an expensive process but there are a number of things that you can do to try and keep your bills down

1) Ask about Stantons' Fixed Fee Divorce scheme.

2) Ensure that prior to your first meeting you have accurately completed in as much detail as possible and returned to us, the Matrimonial Instruction Sheet.

3) Make sure that, if you intend to start divorce proceedings, you produce either the original of your marriage certificate or you obtain a certified copy from the appropriate registry office.

4) When considering finances, we will send to you a ‘Form E’ which is a long document produced by the court which requires you to complete details of your relevant finances. By you taking the time to complete this document in as much detail as possible that work will not have to be undertaken by us and will inevitably save you costs. A detailed set of notes do accompany the Form E.

5) There are a number of documents which need to accompany the Form E and all of these should be available to you or you can obtain on your own. Whilst we will advise you specifically as to what is needed, in the majority of cases the following will be required:

a) An up-to-date valuation of the family home. Most estate agents will provide a free written market appraisal of your property and we would suggest that three valuations are obtained by you.

b) Your latest P60 and your last three months pay slips.

c) Copies of one year’s bank statements for all accounts which you hold either in your sole or joint names. It is important to ensure that the statements are in the correct date order with no gaps for the last 12 months. If you have not retained paper copies but have online banking you may be able to download copies. Alternatively, you can make a formal subject access request in writing to the bank concerned for details of all transactions on the account under the Data Protection Acts. The bank can make a maximum charge currently of £10 for providing this information.

d) For all credit/store cards you will need the up to date statements and formal confirmation of the figures required to redeem any loans or hire purchase that you have.

e) A list of all other major assets that you own. This may include stocks and shares, items of personal property such as jewellery, paintings, etc, life insurance policies in which you have an interest or valuable cars.

f) If you have a mortgage on the family home, you should obtain a redemption statement from the lender concerned.

6) Pensions need to be carefully considered so as to decide how they should be divided up between you. An up to date valuation will be required from the pension company concerned. We will advise you as to the type of valuation required but you can then simply request that valuation by writing direct to the pension company.

7) It is important to remember that we will raise charges, in accordance with our terms of business, for all the time spent by us in considering your case which will include reading and writing letters, making and receiving telephone calls, meeting with you, etc. We review files regularly and if we have not received a response to a letter, we will chase it up in accordance with good practice. If we write to you or call you, it is important that you respond promptly. If you think there is likely to be a delay in you being able to give full details, tell us so that we can mark the file forward for review without sending you a chasing letter.

We can help you with:

  • Divorce and separation
  • Judicial separation
  • Financial settlements
  • Separation agreements
  • Children matters including contact
  • Parental responsibility and residence
  • Adoption proceedings
  • Fathers'/mothers' rights
  • Grandparents' and step parents' rights
  • Civil partnerships
  • Co-habitee disputes
  • Powers of attorney
  • Wills and probate

See divorce and cohabitation for further details.


© Stantons Solicitors, 2013   Site map